Wednesday, July 29, 2009

An Eventful Week

This past week, I finally upgraded my PC. Now working with 2.4 gigs of RAM, an NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT video card, and a BFG 550 watt power supply. I picked up Sins of a Solar Empire, as it's the game that actually drove me toward the upgrades in the first place. Fun game. You build fleets of star ships and colonize worlds in an effort to build up an empire. You can zoom out to see lightyears of space, or you can zoom in so close that you see the hull panels on an individual ship and hear the drone of its engine.

But what I have been obsessed with since Sunday night is Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. I've had Episode 1 for over a year now, but haven't been able to play it on my PC. Now that I have the new hardware, however, I've played through both episodes. Started Ep. 1 Sunday night, finished it Monday afternoon. Immediately, I downloaded Ep. 2, and before going to bed, I had gotten to the last stage of the game. I beat the final boss last night. Episode 3 cannot be released soon enough. In the meantime, I'm trying to find another PC game to try. Sins is fun, and I love real-time strategy, but I'm really wanting an action title, preferably a first-person shooter/adventure.

And then there's Trine. Dear Lord, I want to play that.

While at Wal-Mart last night, I heard a tornado siren that had cleverly been concealed in a small child. From thirty feet away, you could still hear the intake of air as the kid drew in the preparatory breath. The scream could strip your soul right out of your body.

As the creature's parents carry it farther into the store, I utter the words "Sweet Jesus" and look to the end of the aisle this hellish promenade had just passed. In doing so, I lock gazes with a thirtyish woman. The widening of her eyes bespeaks her shock and, perhaps, horror. Then, as I turn away, I notice the swell of her belly. I realize she is pregnant, and I think, "Best of luck, lady. You just saw what you have to look forward to."

0 comments:

Post a Comment