Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Further Misadventures

Sometimes my lunch breaks get a tad predictable. Whenever I'm stuck on a shift that only allows me thirty minutes to eat, I go for the quickest, cheapest stuff I can get. My current favorite is Asian chicken bites from the deli and a chow mein bowl. Because I had run out of chopsticks, I had to buy another packet (I swear, this is leading up to something).

When I got to the checkout lane, the girl there asked me if I really preferred chopsticks to plastic forks (my ability to eat with chopsticks has awarded me celebrity/freak status in the associate lounge). I said that yes, I liked using chopsticks. I paid for the items and, feeling it would be rude to walk off without saying anything else, said, "Chopsticks are fun."

She shook her head, saying, "I just don't think I could get the hang of using them." She closed out the register and began to walk away. Then she stopped. "I do like a big stick, though." Her friend at the next register started laughing.

Fortunately (?) my brain had shut down before I could say that I always did believe in the adage "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

0 comments:

Post a Comment